Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day Part One...

Memorial Day in the past for me has always come and gone with no particular celebration. It has always been a holiday we celebrated when I was a child. My father fought in Vietnam and both of my grandfather's fought in WWII. I appreciated it, I thought. Maybe I feel differently this year because I am now a mom. Maybe its because we traveled to a communist country last year to bring our daughter home where she can experience freedom. Maybe it's because the war in Iraq has become personal. Maybe it's all the above combined. Whatever it is, I know it has to do somewhat with my cousin Jim. He reported for duty last January after marrying his high school sweetheart, Toni. We miss him dearly and pray daily for his safety. Grace says "Gim" instead of Jim. It's so sweet. Especially when we are praying for him. Today was Jim's birthday. Growing up, his sister Amy and I always tortured him when we were playing. I won't go into details in case Jim is reading this, but I will say it involved dresses and hair bows! We made him a cake and sang happy birthday to him and Grace loved blowing out his candles. We wish he was here in our country to celebrate with his wife and all his other family, but we will certainly celebrate when his tour is over!!! Enjoy the pictures!
Grace was literally putting all the sprinkles on Jim's cake one at a time!!!

She was concentrating so hard on where each and every little sprinkle went! If she didn't like where it landed she would move it!
Some of the sprinkles never made it to the cake at all! They went straight to the mouth!!

The finished product!!! I can't tell if she's happy that she's done or if she wants to keep going!
Thank you for serving your country!! Happy Birthday!!!

1 comment:

Sonya said...

That is soooooooo SWEET!

Sonya